Designing process means merely establishing a common language for all members of the product team.
Design is how it works.
Design is not a fancy-looking user interface. Designing is all about creating things that run pleasantly and conveniently. Design is about creating value for the user. This is the Holy Grail of the design process . We believe that the only possible way to reach it is when the product team works as a whole to discover what they need to build.
Designing good products is extremely difficult
The great products result from hours and hours of experimentation and adjustments - that's what years of experience showed us. The goal of every product team should be to iterate the process as fast as it is possible. We noticed that the most significant obstacle which slowing you down is inefficient communication. Dialogue between designers and developers or between product managers and marketing people can be challenging. After all, we are very different people. Some questions repeat like a refrain during the development of a product:
- Where to find the latest designs?
- Which designs are ready to be implemented?
- Where to leave feedback?
- What are we implementing right now?
- What is going to be released in the next version?
If you ever asked similar questions yourself, you've probably experienced an insufficient or even complete lack of communication with the product team.
The language which everyone understands
Language is a structured system of communication. Agreeing on using a particular communication system comes with multiple benefits:
- enables smooth communication between people of different expertise, age, or culture
- it is less error-prone
- makes onboarding new people much simpler and faster
Exploring all those determinants, in 2019, we developed and adopted the Flow - set of rules and definitions that are our communication system.
Flow is a way of collaborating inside and outside the product team. It includes nomenclature, project structure, and product part creation procedures. Derived from mathematical models, like the finite-state machine and inspired by a behavior-based development approach, Flow is optimized to collaborate on the product development process. It transfers best practices from software development to designers and the management world.
Key benefits of the Flow are:
- standard naming convention and project structure
- the process which supports versioning and evolution of a product
- helps your team focus on solving a single problem (scenario) at a time.
Implementation of a Flow collaboration model using Figma is called Figma-Flow. It's free, and you can try it even now.
Once you do, we are pretty sure you are going to love it ;)
The combination of speed and quality brought by Eyedea made quite an impression on me. They deliver a complete brand, a fully functional website, and an application prototype in less than four weeks. All this was well-founded on R&D. Not only did they meet the requirements, but they also brought a lot of knowledge and personal experience. I'm sure Shoppit would not be such a successful concept without Eyedea.Peder Aaserundco-founder Shoppit
Eyedea solved our problem. In just nine weeks, they thoroughly analyzed our needs, designed a solution, tested it on users, and delivered a detailed report. The whole process was entirely transparent - at every stage, we had insight into the emerging application, thanks to which we could submit comments and ideas regularly.Tomasz SielskiBaks CEO
We are using Figma Flow
to build design systems and collaborate across the whole product team
Frequently asked questions
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Reach out to our customer support team.
- What is the overhead of using Figma-Flow comparing to a typical project organization?
- Based on our experience with Figma-Flow, there is none. One can consider Figma-Flow as an agreement inside the team on how to name UI components, define requirements, or where to put feedback. Such an agreement significantly speeds up the working process.
- What is the benefit of using Figma-Flow?
- Your whole team is on "the same page." Every step in a process is well understood. There's no more searching for the pieces of the design in a forest of components or views. There are no more browsing enormous and complex prototypes. Using Flow will speed up the speed of your product team - not only the designer.
- How to introduce Figma-Flow to my team?
- You can start with sharing with them this small guide. We are happy to organize workshops to train your team, check our offer of training.
- I already have many designs done. Can I still apply Figma-Flow thinking to my project?
- But of course, you can! Our clients and our designers are usually able to apply Figma-Flow structure in their Figma projects in a matter of hours. It is also ok to start using it from any point in time; you don't even have to port the old designs.
- Do I need to use Figma to use Flow?
- No! You can easily use similar conventions and ways of working in other design tools. Contact us, and we will be happy to assist.